Friday, December 21, 2007

Driving to Auckland


We made a quick stop for breakfast and headed down Highways 11 and 1. The scenery is just as beautiful on the way south as it was on the way north.

We stopped in Warkworth for a few minutes. Finally, a chance to snag some fish-and-chips from K&J Takeaways. They're the best! The food is perfectly fried... and it all comes wrapped in newspaper... just the way it's supposed to. It was delicious! A great lunch for our last day in New Zealand.


We also stopped for a little visit at Mahurangi College, my old school. I ran into Mr. Dempsey who said, "Hey! I remember you!" I was in his whanau (house) in 7th form. They let me wander around the grounds for a little while.

The school has changed a bit. They've closed in the pool and built an entire sports complex. Sadly, I wasn't able to find the Senior Common Room. I think I found the doors... but it doesn't look like the room is serving the same purpose any more.


We also made a detour through the Auckland CBD ('cause we had plenty of time before needing to be at the airport). We ran through Albert Park to see parts of the Univeristy. The administration building has an ornate clock tower lovingly referred to as "The Wedding Cake." And Albert Park has beautiful fountains and an enormous floral clock.

No comments: